VBAC

In the scale of old wives’ tales, the old saying that ‘once you have a caesarean birth you always have to have them’ is pretty much near the top of the list! Yet, as with so many old wives’ tales, it simply isn’t true. 
Vaginal birth after caesarean section (VBAC) is the term used when a woman gives birth vaginally after having had at least one baby born by caesarean section. 
If you’ve already had a caesarean, then your chances of having your next baby vaginally are quite good, but it does depend on why you actually needed your first caesarean. It also depends on the progress of your current pregnancy.
If you needed your caesarean for a condition that hasn’t changed – such as a small pelvis – then the chances are that you’ll need to have a caesarean again. However, if you had your caesarean because of exceptional circumstances such as a breech baby, or a low-lying placenta, then your chances of having a VBAC are increased.
With the current media focus on the risks of repeated caesarean births, the advantages of a VBAC are obvious. Naturally, with a VBAC, you avoid such risks, but you’ll also have much less pain after the birth and a shorter stay in hospital. It’s also much better for baby, since s/he is less likely to have trouble breathing after s/he is born.
A VBAC differs from normal childbirth in that you will be probably be more closely monitored during your labour. Indeed, most women will be offered continuous electronic foetal monitoring; allowing both baby’s heart rate and your contractions to be measured at all times.
Most women will have a successful VBAC without any complications at all, but there is a small risk that a scar from a previous caesarean could tear. This is referred to as uterine rupture. Rupture affects only one in 200 women trying for a VBAC, but, although the risk is small, your medical team will want to watch out for it. If your baby's heart rate doesn't sound right, it could be an early sign that there is a problem with your scar.
If you’ve had a previous caesarean and have opted for a VBAC, bear in mind that all labours are unpredictable, so there’s always the chance that you might have to give up on your VBAC option. Indeed, a quarter of women, who try for a VBAC end up needing an emergency caesarean.
During a VBAC, you can have an epidural (RCOG 2007: 9; RCOG 2008) for pain relief if you want one. Some hospitals may support you using a birth pool to help you cope with your contractions.

If your doctor has ruled out the possibility of you having a VBAC, then your other option is a planned, repeat caesarean. This is usually booked for the seven days leading up to your due date, unless your baby needs to be born sooner for a medical reason. Overall, repeat caesareans and VBAC are both safe ways for you to have your baby
(RCOG 2008).

As in most issues related to pregnancy, informed choice is the best way to make a decision regarding the type of birth that you want or need. During your pregnancy, you'll have plenty of time to talk to your consultant or midwife about your previous birth or births, and they will be able to help you come to a decision about how to have your baby this time around. 
If you have had a VBAC, or are hoping to please share your experiences. 

Comments

Jennifer collinson said…
With my first 3 years ago I hoped to have a natural birth but my son got stuck and was a stressful few days where the labour didn't progress so was an emergency c section. 15 months later I chose to try vbac and my daughter was born naturally with help of an epidural. She may have special needs but she found her way out.
Another 15 months later I decided to go natural again but the labour was feeling very much like with my first. And yes he got stuck just like his brother so was an emergency c section. So at least I did experience the vaginal birth with my 2nd.
chloe n said…
i had a successful vbac 4 months ago in a midwifery led unit it was amazing so different from my first birth. i used the pool and gas and air for pain relief, with my first childs birth i was under a general, i didnt see my son until i came round in recovery but my daughter was in my arms while still attached to me via her umbilical cord. i missed the first few hours of my sons life and my partner was in to much shock to photograph him, i will never get those hours back but my daughter looked so much like him it helped to fill in the gaps for me. my friends and family have said its like im me again now ,i didnt realize how much my ceasarean birth had affected me, i didnt realize they could all see the pain i carried around.
Anonymous said…
I had to have a csections with my first 6 months ago. There was a whole list of reasons, early signs of pre-ecplamsia, severe swelling, SPD, and mostly predicted large baby. They didnt want me to continue with my pregnancy (38 weeks) but didnt want to induce me as babies head wasnt engaged and i was carrying a lot of fluid. So it was decided i would have a csection the next day.
I found the whole thing pretty awful, i have a fear of theatres and needles. I hated every min, but my little baby girl was born a whopping 10lb 3 oz at 38 weeks!!
Now when i think of the possibility of having the next one it think of a VBAC, but with the risk of having another big baby where i would prob need interventions like forceps or end up with an EMCS anyway, i think would it just be better to go for an ELCS or try for a VBAC!! I really dont know!!! So i i guess i will just need to wait and see!

Popular Posts