What to do if people are anti your choices


Every new parent has to make their own choices about how to raise their children; some will choose to follow in their parent’s footstep and others won’t. But many who try to think outside of the box are often hit with criticism about their choices.

"That won't last when the baby arrives" or "You'll soon see sense" are just a few of the disparaging comments that others will make when they don’t agree with your choices.

Cloth nappies is one such topic that has divided audiences and for many reasons. Some people simply don't understand the benefits of cloth nappies whilst others don't want more washing, or think that the cost of washing would equal the cost of disposable. Or they do not understand how to use them. Others simply don't understand or care for the environmental effect that disposable nappies have on the planet. With all of these trains of thought how do you deal with your decision to cloth bum? Simply remember that it is your child and it is up to you to make the parenting choices about how you choose to raise your children.

One thing to remember when people are anti your choices is that many people are defensive of their own decisions and sometimes by commenting negatively on yours it helps them to reinforce in their minds that they made the right choice. Others are afraid of change. Take your own parents for instance, they want you to succeed and by telling you "you are wrong" they are often trying to help by showing you a tried and tested method that they used with you.

There are many methods of parenting that are often hit with criticism and cloth nappies are only an example. But, as I have mentioned before when you are confident and satisfied that your choices are made with the best possible intentions in mind, try to remember why you made the decision in the first place and stick to it. You are the parent and it is up to you to decide how your children are raised.

Lectures and negative comments have never helped anyone so even when you are being criticised try to keep your head held high and do not retaliate. Their choices are theirs to make just as yours are and no-one will ever have the same opinions as you do. If we were all the same it would make for a very dull world as my mother always says. If you have any advice for our followers we would really appreciate your comments.

Comments

Sarah said…
I had so many 'looks' from other parents when I was pregnant and mentioned that I planned to use cloth nappies. I absolutely hated the phrase, 'we'll see' !! I just nodded and moved on to a different topic.

16 months down the line and I'm still using them and also converting many others. Ha ! :)
Anonymous said…
Those are the pretty much the responses I am getting from my mum & sister (who is also pregnant at the moment) "Oh, it's ok if you want to try them out. You'll just have to see how you get on, I suppose." "You were in disposables, but you turned out OK" "Oh, but why would you want to make more work/laundry for yourself as well as dealing with a new baby?" and finally, "But why would you want to use reusable nappies for anyway?!" to which I can only respond "Why wouldn't I?!" (Trying to avoid the "But why would you want to use disposable for anyway?!" response, or any form of debate as to why I wouldn't want to use sposies, SO not worth it) Both are very dubious, at best, and generally rather negative & condescending re:- my choice to spend money on & plan to use real nappies, so I just plan on maintaining a hopefully dignified silence on the matter rather than be drawn into pointless arguments. Sorry for the rant, it just really upsets me, then I get the "Oh, you shouldn't get yourself all worked up, it's not good for you or the baby" (This is the argument-ender from mum for any and everything!)

EmilyS21
Lisa said…
I had lots of people with views on my decision to use cloth nappies. Whilst there were a few negative people, on the whole I found that people just aren't clued up enough and were quite surprised that times have certainly moved on from Terry nappies. I've had many a mum ask to have a look at my nappies at baby groups and a couple have even gone on to buy trial packs. I know it's not for everyone for whatever reason, but anybody that is interested to know about them I gabble on. I remember chuckling when someone said that I would become addicted to cloth until I realised I had an addiction. LOL

Popular Posts