Climate Week

This week is Climate Week (21-27 March 2011) across the UK, and there are companies, charities, local groups, across the country running events and showing their support.

I live in a tiny hamlet of a few houses, about a mile from a nearby small village which is lucky enough to still have a primary school. My eldest daughter started there in September, but due to her sister going to a nursery 8 miles away, we never walk or cycle to school (it is 1.1 miles).

I decided that I could do some walking/cycling pick ups on the days where my eldest finishes school before I have to do nursery pick up, and hey, the sun was shining, what better time than to give it a go...

So this week we tried to look at ways we could reduce our carbon footprint....well, first mission was (a) locating the cycle and (b) working out whether daughter could get on the bike...

So at 2.45pm on Tuesday, I set off from our house (after adjusting seat a few times) to collect my daughter from school.

I should point out that there is a HUGE hill between the house and the school- and yes, I did get off of the bike and push it up the hill. I am not fit, my main current exercise regime involves typing my computer or chasing children around the house.

On the way home, my daughter sat on the back of the bike (need to get a tagalong, desperately!) and it was rather, well, enjoyable. We cycled past fields with newborn lambs, we both had a chance to chat about school and what my daughter was doing in her life, and we had some fresh air.

My daughter loved it. I ached, but I loved it, and hopefully with the weather improving, we can do a bit more of this cycling lark.

For more information on cycling & Climate week visit:-

http://www.climateweek.com
http://www.whycycle.co.uk
http://www.sustrans.org.uk (excellent for showing "safe routes" across the UK)

Comments

Popular Posts